View Single Post
Old 04-19-2013, 07:10 PM
Charter Member

...i've had a lot of Kay archtops....the Rex pictured does not look like any of them...the headstock shape would be "unusual"...as would the bound f holes,(or faux painted...i can't tell)...the neck inlay and the all birch construction are atypical as well...harmony made a lot of all birch guitars....some of them archtops...it looks more harmony than kay to me but i wouldn't say for sure which one....both kay and harmony made guitars that were rebranded but i think harmony did more of that than kay......the birch would suggest that it is in all probability solid as nearly all of the birch guitars i've seen from that era are solid...no need to laminate a flatsawn wood that is unlikely to split or crack...the top would be a pressed archtop rather than carved.... tonewise it might sound pretty good...the best examples are loud and zingy with enough warmth to keep em from being annoyingly skranky...i've head some that are pretty poor as well...i'm not familiar with that particular model so there again i couldn't say....it looks worth taking for a spin...assuming its playable...i would estimate the value between 1 and 200 dollars...

Last edited by J Patrick; 04-19-2013 at 07:24 PM.