View Single Post
Old 03-19-2010, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Klepper View Post
1. This is not actually a cantilever in engineering terms, because there is no load on the end of the board. But it sounds cool and techie to call it that. Actually, the neck on any guitar is a cantilever, since there is a load on the unsupported end. But I digress.

This is confusing - is it or isn't it a cantilever? From your own web page - "elevated and cantilevered fretboard extension with distinctive treble side partial 20th fret,"

4. I guess by now I should stop being surprised when people read stuff on a guitar company's site that was written by someone who does advertising copy and take it literally.

Does this standard apply to your site? Lots of flowery, marketing hype type lingo there!

Other things: the guitar has been developed over centuries by a lot of smart people who were willing to experiment. They were not unaware of developments in the physics of musical instruments, which were pretty much all worked out 150 years ago. But there is never a shortage of new builders who think they are first person ever to apply some science to the instrument.
Not sure what you are implying with this statement. I recall seeing the Batson site clearly state that they are not the first builders to do some of things that are part of their design approach.
I guess I just read your input as kind of condescending to and dismissive of new and different thoughts and approaches.
Long live the innovators, the dreamers and the envelope-pushers!