View Single Post
Old 08-11-2017, 08:29 PM

Default padauk

Otherwise there's a reason why the less common tonewoods in this poll are not particularly sought after. They don't bring anything special sonically, they aren't especially visually desirable -- and they're not traditional. (JoeCharter)

Sorry, I need to disagree.

I have seen, and own, some spectacular Padauk. Many samples are blah, granted, but by no means all of them. Look at the Padauks made by the Kinnairds and Mark Hatcher and you will take it all back. Going further, I have seen and played some very nice, rosewood-looking Ovankol and have seen a number of pretty neat examples of Pau Ferro. And every piece of Zebrawood I have seen has been very striking.

There are many, including me, who will argue that these woods give up nothing tonally when used by someone who knows what they are doing. I might make an exception for Zebrawood, so will give you that.

But I will agree with your last statement that they are not considered traditional. To mess with you, let me mention birch. Most would not call it traditional but boy a lot of guitars in the 20's and 30's were made from it.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.