View Single Post
Old 07-03-2009, 08:23 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian a. View Post
With a bolt on neck like the Squire Strat you could have easily removed the neck and either had the truss rod replaced or bought a new neck. Keep that in mind for the future.

The bow in the neck is caused by string tension. The strings pulling "up" on the neck. You can lower the tension by either loosening the strings or using a lighter gauge string. The truss rod counter acts the tension caused by the string tension. If the truss rod is "healthy" and not cracked or fatigued or tearing into the wood or bending the washer, it should be okay. Keep an eye on the relief to see if it is increasing or decreasing, as well as, the bridge to see if it is lifting away from the top or if the top itself is lifting or bulging upward.

Go back to frets.com and read everything about neck relief, neck angle, saddle height etc to get a better understanding of how these elements interact to affect playability and a healthy guitar.

Good luck.......

Thanks a lot Brian,

I figured out the neck are replaceable few weeks after I sold that Strat in a garage sale. Was much younger that time and didn't know that.

As for the Washburn, I used to put Extra Light string to to minimize the neck bow prior to adjusting the truss rod. But that really kill the sound. Luckily after adjusting the truss rod, so far it seems to me that the neck is handling the Elixir PB Light pretty well (at least for the past 5 days after the adjustment). I will keep an eye on the neck relief and check back often at frets.com. Thanks for the useful suggestion..

2010 VAOM-04
2012 Custom Secco Guitar

2013 Collings OM2H

2014 Cordoba Fusion 12 Natural

YouTube Channel
http://www.youtube.com/user/hendragunawanng