View Single Post
Old 06-18-2013, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelht1 View Post
I honestly can't tell you what style, in the learning phase, but bluegrass, country is what I lean towards.
I have a very nice guitar but scared to death of damaging it (Charis) I wanted something to celebrate my retirement and wanted a nice guitar (Charis) but its just not comfortable worrying about it, so I figured with a background in composites I might try one of those and just enjoy the playing and learning process.
If your target style of music is "bluegrass, country", . . . that would suggest a dreadnought body style guitar.

The Blackbird Super OM is an excellent guitar, but its tone (while very good), will not be a stereotypical bluegrass/country style tone. Also, unless you find a used Super OM, you are looking at a higher price range for a carbon guitar.

Since you state that if you are still "in the learning phase", . . . you might want to consider a lower price range carbon guitar as a compliment to your Charis, which I think is a higher price range.

So you might want to consider a RainSong Dreadnought guitar, with the Studio fine texture finish. The "Studio" guitars are RainSong's lower price range guitars, . . . but which essentially only differ from the higher price RainSongs based on the finish (i.e. fine texture, not glossy). Note however, the fine texture finish, while very durable, can result in some scratchy noise if your playing style brushes the guitar top. Many have reported that installing an aftermarket pickguard will eliminate the noise issue.