View Single Post
Old 01-10-2017, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mot View Post
Nothing to see here. Move along.

I checked out the basic open C chord shape above the octave. Works fine for pointer on 13th and then 14th fret. My hand starts hitting the body on the 15th fret. Uncomfortable and have to use the pinky and/or creative fingering to go higher.

I think it is completely doable to play this chord shape quickly with a D on the second string (15th fret) even though it is tight. I have a fairly big hand though, so you mileage may vary.
Thanks a bunch Tom, I really appreciate it!

So then sliding that C shape up into the D position is going to be borderline impossible. I was just trying it out on my Taylor and my hand is hitting the body when I have the C shape at 17 (D chord). So that might just be something I can't do on an X20.

The last thing I'm wondering is if you find the sound coming at you as you play overwhelming at times?

The only guitar I've played with the sound hole near that position was a CA GXi. It wasn't overpowering on that guitar necessarily. However high string melody lines while full chording got completely buried. The whole tone sounded a bit muddy. In retrospect, it may have just been old strings. I'm kind of kicking myself now because it was one of the last copper paint jobs they did and I might have missed out on a great guitar that just needed new strings. Oh well, lesson learned.