View Single Post
Old 09-26-2013, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_G View Post
So I was left to play a Pava, several Collings MT's, and a couple of Eastmans. And I have to say, I cannot hear much difference in tone between any of these and the one I have now. Mine cost about $400, and the others were in the $2500 - $2800 range.
I've been playing my first mandolin (Kentucky KM171) for a few months and will probably want to upgrade at some point. The Pava and Collins would be among my first choices to audition. Eastmans and Webers as well. It's odd that not one of them caught your fancy tone wise. Go figure.

While I'm fine with the sound from my oval, I've heard better tone in other's recordings. Could be a lot in the players hand. My thought in auditioning an upgrade was to find an experienced player to play them for me as well as my playing them to see how they played and felt. I'm not sure I could finesse proper tone out of a Gilchrist right now. I think I would know if another mandolin played better tho.

I went thru several sets of strings and a load of picks to find a sound more to my liking. Each set of strings seemed to favor a different pick sound-wise. Not a fan of the shrill tinny sound either. I suspect that the oval helps a bit there but not experienced enough to say for sure.

Keep playing. It will find you