View Single Post
Old 10-02-2012, 10:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackville View Post
Maybe, but as long as Seagull continues to advertise it as 1.8, I'm going to trust their measurement over any individual or individuals. I have personally measured my Seagull (1.8) against my Martin DCPA-4 (1.75) and while the string spacing is the same, the nut width is greater on the Seagull. Of course the difference is extremely slight, but it is in fact, wider when I measure.
Hi B-ville...
The confusion comes from the fact they are built in a French speaking & metric measuring area, and the nut is actually 44mm or 46mm. They are not trying to be different.

The wider version of the nut is 46mm (listed in English as 1.8''), but the spacing is exactly the same as other manufacturer's 1.75'' nut guitars. While this provides a tiny amount of extra space on the outside edge of the fingerboard, it is not more finger space unless you normally have issues dragging the 1st string off the fingerboard.

Also, their 44mm (1.72'') fingerboards are spaced the same as 1¹¹/₁₆'' nuts. You could build the nut 2'' wide, but if the strings are only spaced to 1.75'' that is what really counts.

I like the Jumbo bodied versions when they are going to be amplified. I recently heard one of them with the high end Seagull pickup/mic Q systems, and it was fabulous through the PA.

I played that guitar later, and it was pretty similar to an S-6 acoustically.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…