View Single Post
Old 10-12-2011, 07:50 PM

Default 12 days left on GC return policy

I hate to contribute to a zombie thread like this, but I'm gonna have to, since this is where I went to find out about my MMV. I bought it @ Guitar Center on 9/24, and I was NOT looking for this guitar. They had a used Guild D55 in there and I had a wagon load of low-end trade-ins and some cash to try to make a deal. I'd been plotting and planning how to get that D55 for about 2 weeks leading up to that. When the time came, at the very last minute (after about 2 hours of haggling over trade-ins), I noticed the MMV on the wall, listed about $200 less than the D55. I noticed the rosewood, ebony fretboard and bridge, nitro finish, and realized those materials don't usually come at that price. Then I played it for about 30 seconds, and went "WOW. Okay, best deal you can give me on EITHER OF THESE GUITARS."

Obviously, I got a better deal on the MMV, it was new, and listed lower to start.

Since then, I've been wondering, did I just lose my mind? A "no-name" GC custom model Martin over a D55? I've been trying to rationalize the thing, done my homework, called Martin, gone to other stores, played a bunch of other guitars, (mostly D28's since that's what people keep comparing them to), etc. Seems at first it sounded a little "thin." But every time I play the thing I keep getting the same "Wow" reaction. I know it's M&T neck joint, not a dovetail, and it's got A-frame bracing, both of which are "modern" (or unproven) developments for a Martin. But this is a great sounding guitar.

Of course, GC has that 30 day return policy, so I decided to go back and have another listen to the D55. I took the MMV with me to A/B them. When I got there I found they now had a used D28 hanging there (2009) at the same price as the D55!

So now my options are: used '09 D28, used '09 (Tacoma) D55, or new MMV (coincidentally also built in '09 if it matters). This is a good problem to have

I spent about 2 hours in the store A/B/C'ing those 3, and here are my conclusions:

1. D55 has the best action/playability, and the sound is classic Guild - very "open" sounding (scalloped braces) with lots of low end, and smooth glassy highs. Chords sound amazing.

2. D28 probably has the best overall tone for me, nice complex highs and lots of power and growl on the low end but with a tighter (non-scalloped) sound, bigger neck, than either of the other 2, and overall just a great guitar.

3. MMV comes in close second place on comfort/action, and I'd say a photo finish on tone. It's different than either the 28 or the 55, but not necessarily better or worse. I would describe it as a cross between Taylor and Martin - in that it has a similar top end, sparkly treble sound as Taylor's have, but the grit and growl and character of a Martin, only somewhat less than the D28. Also, maybe a little more open sound in the low end, then the super tight D28. Maybe the braces have something to do with it. A-Frame has very tapered braces, which go down to super thin around where the main X-braces meet the sides. And fewer tone bars.

Full disclosure, I did put in a bone saddle (had one laying around) and that definitely improved the tone. I also swapped out the factory strings for D'addario mediums, which seemed to give it some punch. I even experimented with different picks - amazing what a difference a pick can make.

But even with those minor mods, the MMV seems to be improving in tone the more I play it. I swear it's not my imagination. The low end used to sound like it was fighting itself, and now it seems to vibrate better and is *almost* up to the beefy growl of that D28. Is that possible in 2 weeks of playing? Also, the clarity of notes is just spectacular, single note runs sound amazing, and chords sounds really nice and balanced and not overpowering compared to the single notes. Reminds me how wine changes when you let it breath for a while. I know guitars can improve with age and whatnot, but I've never had a guitar open up like this in such a short timespan.

I have yet to pull the sticker off the pick-guard, but I did order some new bridge pins, so I guess you could say I'm committed.

...but I still have 12 days to go. I hope you all can relate. And for anyone wondering about MMVs and not really sure, you might want to try out different strings and picks. And give it a chance to breath. That goes for any guitar I guess.