View Single Post
Old 01-08-2017, 07:51 AM
Charter Member

Default Turning an unfinished basement into a home studio

Just about finished with due diligence on a home and all looks good.
The home has a 500 foot unfinished basement (Concrete floors, walls have insulation and sheet rock. The 8 foot ceiling has non.

Looking to create a home studio and I just want to learn as much as a can about turning this space into an acceptable sounding room, to record vocals and acoustic guitar. I don't expect it to sound like a professionally designed and constructed studio. I realize that ain't gonna happen. What I want to do is focus on making it as optimal as it can be. I already have a good amount of gear and acoustic panels from "real traps" and other companies, so the focus would be on the room. (As I type this I hear a slew of fire truck sirens out side my NYC window. The home is in a very quite neighborhood - LOL)

Ultimately I would love to get advice from an experienced acoustical engineer (Any one have an idea about consult fees - I will be 30 minutes west of Asheville NC). In the mean time I want to read up on as much as I can as well as seek out advice from folks who have done what I plan on doing.

Some, but no all concerns are:
HVAC ducts (heat pump) run through the space
Best material for flooring (once I address any moisture issues)
How best to finish the ceiling (insulation and Acoustic sheet rock?)
Aside from running electrical I will be doing the basics my self.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat