View Single Post
Old 01-02-2017, 06:58 AM

Todd, I've played one and liked it a lot. And with respect, ukejon, criticizing a guitar-banjo for lacking a high 5th string drone is like criticizing a five string banjo for not having the low notes that a guitar-banjo can get. Guitar-banjos are a valid musical instrument in their own right.

Full disclosure: I've owned and played a succession of guitar-banjos since around 1980, and have found a lot of different musical styles that they're good for. Personally, I feel that Greg Deering took what was a problematic banjo family instrument and figured out how to fix the intonation and tonal problems that had previously plagued it. I got a Deering B6 guitar-banjo in a trade in the late 1990's, and consider that to have been one of the most fortunate trades I've ever made.

Incidentally, I own and play a five string banjo, too, as well as a pony five string banjo and a mandolin-banjo. They're all "real banjos," just different from what comes to mind for most people when the word "banjo" gets mentioned.

Anyway, Todd, the Deering Solana is a good instrument that does what it's supposed to do. It's definitely worth checking out.

Wade Hampton Miller