Thread: Taylor 612
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2010, 12:17 AM

Well I really like what Taylor does with Maple, however the dynamic range of that tone-wood will excel in certain situation, while only being "decent" in others. What Taylor likes to say about their Maple guitars is that it "really cuts through the mix", meaning - giving it tendency of having a bright, treble centric sound it can stand out easier in a larger ensemble or band. On the other hand, take a classic tone-wood like rosewood. It tends to have a more balance tonal range with more bass than maple. It also drops a little in the middle with is good for vocal accompaniment. Taylor has a nice chart that show the dynamic ranges of different tone-woods available here:

Taylor Tone Chart

For Beatles stuff, I don't know. I would say that Maple may be too bright for their sound and perhaps a different tone-wood would suit you better. However, I am not expert on their music and I am sure there are others on this board who know better that I on this topic. Hope the above helped. Oh and by the way, welcome to the Forum. It is a great place even if people do make a lot of jokes asking for free guitars, but it is all in good fun.