View Single Post
Old 09-13-2014, 06:37 PM

Default re: SJ-180

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS View Post
EVERYTHING must be based on this guitar's possible/probable need for a neck reset. That said--wonderful guitars, I've owned several, have one in the fixup/resell pipeline.

My 2 cents: $150, tops, if it doesn't need a neck reset. If it does, walk away, unless you have the ability to do Yamaha resets yourself.

I know this is an old post. In an old book I have Building a Steel String Guitar the author has a Yamaha sawed in half to illustrate how it was built. They don't need neck resets. They were built that way on purpose. That great boomy sound was partly from the tension of the strings pulling up in the top. If you take away that tension you take away the sound. This was his opinion and I have found it to be true. If you really like them for the sound then get used to the higher than usual action. Old Martins even sound better with the action up.

I just bought one for 50 bucks that someone put stickers and glue all over the back. At least an hour of my time. I agree with the 150 max price tag. Thesewere supposed to be a concert sized fg-180, So who knows maybe the prices will go up. You can't get an FG-180 for under 400 unless you get real lucky