View Single Post
Old 09-05-2016, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyllys View Post
As usual I come from a DIY "just play it" approach and leave the analysis for hindsight. An example:

Sitting and playing one day, someone asked me how I managed to pick a certain passage. In repeating the paasage we found I was "back-picking" the second of two notes, up-picking the first note with my index finger and then brushing my nail against the string on a down- or "back-" pick.

I had been completely unaware that this was going on until I got "caught".

My point is that planning, study, directed practice and such are fine and commendable, but you have to leave room for and accept inspiration and fortuitous accident when you offer yourself up to the music, put the brain in neutral and let the music play you.

I think the Heisenbergian principle of the act of observation (and analysis) affecting the object applies. There comes a time when you just have to DO and not think. The music will inform your hands...if you let it.

Now back to your regularly scheduled Cartesian approach.

Have fun.
Are you sure your aren't confusing Heisenberg's uncertainty principle with the Observer effect? I'm in agreement with you that analysis can often contribute to paralysis and sometimes you just have to get out of your own way.