View Single Post
Old 02-07-2018, 10:45 PM

Default 3/4 Les Paul Jr.

Today at band practice I took my late 50s LP Jr 3/4 size. It has only 19 frets and unifies as a short scale guitar. These were made as student models. Although mine is missing a serial number, it was sold to me as a '58. It has been refretted, and the sunburst finish is darker than any other I have seen, and I have had four other Juniors, so I think it was refinished many years ago. The pickup is original, and with a new set of GHS nickel strings it sounded like a Telecaster.

I have tried out my Brondel Strat, SG with Throbaks, and Melody Maker with PAFs, but today I got amazing tone. Since we added a pedal steel player, we have gone from a surf music, Hot Tuna, Grateful Dead, Ry Cooder influenced trio to a hard core country and western quartet. Wille Nelson, Ray Price, Bob Wills, Merle Haggard, Buck Owens, I didn't think I would ever play real CW music.

With a Dobro, Weissenborn, Mandolin, 8 string uke, lap steels, pedal steels, multiple acoustic guitars, the next few years are going to be very rewarding.

Anyone else playing a Les Paul Jr or Special?