View Single Post
Old 01-11-2017, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
I am always interested in these personal PA systems. However, I always have a hard time justifying them. I totally get their appeal but if this is $2000.00, I would much rather put my money into one or two powered speakers and a mixer. Down the road that will come in handy. Having a full sized PA is always ideal, even if you normally only take one speaker to use at a show.

That seems to be a popular opinion. The only counter to that is the benefit of coverage and dispersion from these line systems, or horn system, in this case. For certain long narrow rooms the Bose,JBL, Fishman, etc simply get to the back better without blasting the audience in the front. And, one handle portability is great.

For most square shaped rooms, a speaker on a stand is just as effective.

So, as a solo artist who plays in different venues, there is value in having a single portable system that gives great sound all the way to the back of any room, and acts as a monitor without feedback.

Bose has sold enough L1s over the years to solo artists to prove the concept works really well for them.

Since I don't play for a living, but still require PA gear occasionally for performances, I have a hard time justifying another system, or spending $2-3k for the Bose. Some of the professionals I play with swear by their Bose L1s. I love the way they sound too. I wish Line 6 would release a sub $1,000 stage source with a line array attachment. I'd sell my current gear and buy that. In the meantime, I'm curious about the JBL product that has more power than the L1 compact at the same price. If I thought the JBL mixer would work for me, I'd sell my gear and buy one of those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro