View Single Post
Old 01-09-2017, 01:53 PM

Default Rainsong WS vs Emerald X20

Oh no... I thought I was about ready to get a Rainsong when I gave Emerald a better look. They are quite something! I have read a lot about them on AGF and they certainly have a lot of fans. I also see that when one appears in the classifieds that it's gone pretty fast.

I find it interesting that many people say that there is just something extra about Emerald guitars. I have heard some say that they are a little less chimey than Rainsong. That's a plus for me. I also read some say that Emerald's are richer in tone.

I can get an X20 Opus to my door for about the same price as a H-WS1000N2. I was also considering a CO-WS1000N2, but then I am looking at an extra $1,000 (Canadian). Plus, the shark inlays are not my thing. I may be able to get one with a Hybrid neck if I custom order, but I don't want to do all that for my first CF guitar.

I have a few concerns about Emerald guitars that I'm hoping can be addressed;

Cutaway. The cutaway terminates at about the 17th fret vs the 19 fret for most standard cutaways. I find that quite odd when it has a 24 fret neck. I see that there is a bevel on the cutaway that extends it to the 19th fret, but that doesn't help for your whole hand. If you are reaching with your pinky or ring finger on the higher strings than fine.
EXAMPLE: I sometimes play a standard C chord in the 2nd octave with the G and E open strings ringing out (standard tuning). I then slide that shape up 2 frets for a D variation (15th fret root up to 17 fret root). Is that even possible on an Emerald?

Sound hole placement. Will this blast the player with too much sound? I have read very little about people objecting, but I am wondering. Is it a LOT louder than an average GA or GS shape guitars? Is it a full sound or are tones missing while others are over-powering?

Balance. I am currently a flat-picker about 90% of the time, but I am moving towards 50/50 as far as flat-pick vs fingerstyle. However, a full balalnced flat-pick tone is VERY important to me. I need a guitar that is balanced across the entire neck at the same time. I love to incorporate open strings with higher register chord work that take me all over the neck. How is an Emerald in that context?

Last edited by Carbonius; 01-09-2017 at 08:04 PM.