View Single Post
Old 12-29-2016, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarred21 View Post
...This would be my first Reverb experience and I've really enjoyed searching that site the past 2 weeks.
Not to be a buzzkill, but some caveats here:
  • In spite of the "friendly" language used in the ad copy, this guy's a dealer (check it out for yourself) - and in that light, the rest of the ad smacks of the old used-car salesman's pitch that went, "only driven to church on Sundays by a little old lady from Mayberry"...
  • An ABS case (other than a flight case - which I strongly doubt you're getting here) is probably the lightest protection out there other than a gigbag - this guy's got a real boat anchor here and he knows/admits it (hence the $50 shipping charge); heard tell that Hulk Hogan's a pretty good bass player - can't think of too many other people who'd be OK with an 11-12 pounder on their shoulder for long stretches...
  • Converting from metric measurements, the neck width at the nut is ~1.49" - thinner than a Leo-era J-Bass, and more reminiscent of the old '60s Vox instruments (which at least had the advantage of a 30" scale, making them useable - if a bit pricey - instruments for small-statured players in today's market); if you have small hands and need something where you can make the reaches comfortably, you'd be far better off with a modern short-scale like the aforementioned Epi EB-0, Squier Jaguar SS, or Rogue VB100 - all of which can be had new with warranty for $200 or less - or a used Epi Allen Woody, Squier VM Mustang, or Hofner Ignition Violin/Club for similar bucks...
  • Active circuits cost money, and if you're installing them in a new instrument as OEM, production costs need to be cut somewhere else - either in the pickups themselves, the woods used in construction (which would also explain a good deal of the excess weight), or overall QC (finish thickness, improperly sawn/seasoned woods - easy recipe for a twisted/warped neck, BTW - fret work, etc.); unless you're a semi-pro/professional hired gun with a heavy studio schedule and five-nights-a-week gigs, you don't need an active bass - and I think James Jamerson, Jack Bruce, Chris Squire, Duck Dunn, and the aforementioned Mr. Woody would back me up on this if they were still around...
  • Since by your own admission you're new to the game you're probably not familiar with the target markets of the different makers - simply put, this is an entry-level metal machine being pitched to middle-school kids looking to put together their first real band (not putting them down - I started when I was their age, and there's a bunch of kids around my way who kick some heavy-duty arse against guys two and three times their age); styling aside, the active circuitry and two-octave extra-jumbo-fret neck are the giveaways - fine if you know what you're getting up front, but far from "incredibly versatile" (you'll need to start tickling the $1K mark before you get an active bass that even begins to approach that description) as he states in the ad...
  • Finally, he's dropped the price at least once and is willing to accept any "reasonable" offer; with 54 years of experience under my belt I'm thinking he's got a real dog on his hands, he's having a hard time unloading it (even to the headbanger crowd) - and with his no refund/exchange/return policy (feel free to look it up on Reverb) he's bound and determined that you keep it once it's out of his shop...
Be patient, your instrument is out there - and you'll know it when you play it...