View Single Post
Old 08-30-2015, 02:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schau_ins_Regal View Post
Thank you for the information. That seems to be an appropriate possibility. I will contact Trance Audio regarding the jack.
I don't think they sell the jack alone, it's part of their system. Maybe they can tell you where you can but one, tho.

But stepping back a bit, let's consider what you want to do. You're trying to add a mic to your Sunrise. People do this all the time, with just a stereo jack. You wire the mic to the ring and ground, pickup to the tip, and run a stereo cord to a preamp that supplies 9 volts to the ring. Search here, and you'll find people asking about this setup practically every day. I do it with a DPA 4061, almost the same mic as the 4099, I just put it inside my guitar. And I do cut the microdot off - something I wouldn't advise unless you understand what you're doing - the wire is *very* fine, and you'll destroy the way the mic is meant to be used. The 4061 is a common choice, but people use other mics as well, the K&K Silver Bullet, an AKG, etc.

The thing that's unusual here is that you want to use the 4099 that's mounted outside your guitar. How would you get the DPA into the jack inside the guitar? Run it thru the soundhole? I guess that would work, but seems awkward. What you might consider is getting a microdot female connetor (I assume DPA can sell you such a thing). Then you can clip the 4099 onto your guitar, plug it into the jack inside the guitar, and go.

The 4099 is confusing because it's really a 2-wire electret mic, but comes with an adaptor that lets you power it from an XLR 48-volt mixer input. Without the adaptor, it's just ground and hot wire, and needs 9 volts T-power, which many guitar preamps provide: K&K Quantum, DTar Solstice, Grace Felix, and more.