View Single Post
Old 12-04-2012, 12:43 AM

Hi Doug, I was under the impression that you could 'synch' up audio and HD video from two different devices (ie, Zoom H2 & Canon Elph) in the iMovie program. However, unless I am misunderstanding you in your AG article (snippet below) you indicate you cannot. Please confirm or clarify. Thanks! (If anyone else wants to weigh in on this as well, that would be great).

"Another approach is to record the audio on a separate device. Portable audio recorders like the popular Zoom H2 offer the same portability as video cameras, allowing you to record quality audio in any location, but you can use any digital recording setup—a computer with recording software, for example. A simple clap at the beginning of the video will provide a synchronization point to tie the audio and video together. To use this approach, you need a video editor that supports separately movable audio tracks. Load the video and audio into the editor, and move the audio track until the clap is aligned. Some simple video editors bundled with computers and aimed at the home movie market, such as Windows Movie Maker or Apple’s iMovie, do not support this ability, but others, like Adobe’s Premiere Elements or Apple’s Final Cut Express offer multiple audio tracks that can be manipulated separately and aligned with video tracks. Synchronizing multiple tracks takes some practice, but an external recorder can produce far better results than simply using the camera’s built-in microphone. You can also use the same technique to synchronize multiple audio tracks, or even multiple video cameras. Just make sure the clap is visible on all cameras, if you’re using more than one, and make sure to begin with a clap every time you restart the video and audio recorders."

'More guitars than I need but not as many as I want.'