View Single Post
Old 04-21-2017, 07:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hesson11 View Post
You're right, Steve. I was a bit off base, and I apologize.

The stock Taw, OM and Tamar all are specified on the Brook site as having a nut width of 44mm, which is 1.732 inches. And 1.732 is not 1.75. Those who absolutely require the extra .018 inch (less than one-half of one millimeter) will probably not find a stock Brook acceptable. Perhaps that includes Luria, or perhaps that's close enough. It is for me, and I'm more accustomed to 52mm nut widths. (For reference, 45mm equals 1.77 inches.)

I apologize that in measuring my Torridge, I could not discern that same 18 one-thousandths of an inch. Thank you very much!
-Bob

For me, that 44mm nut width, is just not enough.
And in the case of a Brook, where the depth of the neck is quite slender, then its sort of a 2x the issue.
Perhaps if they built their necks much deeper, then this could compensate for that shorter nut width.
(Dream on......)
So yep, that 44mm nut width is why i dont own a closet full of Gibson Acoustics.
And while im at it....why is it that all imported guitars...Asian...Taks, Yairis, English Luthiers, ....they generally all refuse to create a stock instrument, that has a 1 3/4 nut.
All of them want to give you the 1 11/16th or some of them the 44mm, like Yamaha or Brook, and 2 of them....Yairi and Tak, will give you the 45mm, while skipping happily right over the 1 3/4 or 44.50.
WHY ~???????
1 3/4.....good luck., tho i think Tak did a "Nashville" series about 100 years ago that came stock with a 1.75 nut.
It is a mystery to me why asian and euro builders do not understand that the people who spend the big money on handmade guitars, are a lost market to them, because they just refuse to offer an instrument with a 1 3/4 nut as "stock".
Of course, Breedlove and Taylor and most other American Builders are certainly happy about this, as this way, they get that entire market to themselves.....

Last edited by Luria; 04-21-2017 at 08:05 AM.