View Single Post
Old 12-07-2008, 05:49 PM

Default Gypsy jazz strings on a regular acoustic?

Hi Guys,

I have recently been getting into a bit of Gypsy Jazz. Now I know from experience how quickly some of these phases can pass for me (I'm hope I'm not alone in that ) so I'm not looking at getting a gypsy jazz style guitar (just yet), but I was thinking I could string up one of my regular acoustics up with the strings used in that style (e.g. http://www.stringsandbeyond.com/saargyjaacgu.html), to get a bit closer to sound and feel of one.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with that? I imagine I will need to at least adjust the truss rod for the lower tension, but is gauge 11-46 likely to be too light to be able to compensate for? (The guitar they'll be going on is a Seagull dreadnought, which already has a moderately low action with the D'darrio 12's currently on it)

Also, and perhaps more importantly, how much of the sound is from the strings versus the Selmer guitars typically used? Is it even worth my while trying these on a regular acoustic?

I know the proof will be in the playing, but it looks like I'll have to order them from overseas, and they're not particularly cheap compared to regular strings so any success or horror stories would be great to hear first!

Thanks,

Simon

p.s. Is anyone else here playing this style? I've always played fairly straight-ahead acoustic rock, singer/songwriter stuff, but the whole Gypsy Jazz culture and philosphy really interests me. Playing lead guitar in a rock setting has never done it for me, but I'm actually quite excited about learning to play some lead stuff in this style