View Single Post
Old 01-29-2015, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jliew08 View Post
This is exactly I joined and posted. You guys have been fantastic in your feedback and it is greatly appreciated!

I originally thought I wanted a Martin GPCPA1 Plus, but after playing it at a local GC along with the 814, I think I really only liked it because of the looks. Not what I was looking for in tone. I have played the 314 and 414, and they are okay for me. I have not seen or played and of the 816's in person, though the benefits you guys have mentioned does sound nice for what I want. I really like the size of the 814, and from the specs of it the 816 doesn't seem that much bigger.

I've never seen a Collings, but I hear are good things. I was thinking 814 because I have seen and played one. I'd really like it to be a "buy once, cry once" kinda deal. I would hope this would be one that is a keeper. Now you all may have me thinking 816.
OK, I'm going to sort of rescind my last post...

What I'm hearing here, reading between the lines, is that you have played an 814 and it was nice. Maybe very nice. But I'm not sure I'm hearing that it necessarily blew you away in a deeply profound way. But some of the other guitars that have been mentioned here that can be had (used at least) for a similar price to a new 814 (I'm figuring about 3.5K?) almost certainly would affect you in a profound way if you sat down and played them.

You might not end up liking them better than the Taylor in the end, but if you have the opportunity to try some of them out, it certainly could be worth your while.

I'm partial to Goodalls - some folks describe them as sounding like Taylors on steroids, and a common reaction to playing one is "I had no idea a guitar could even sound this wonderful!" And every Goodall I've played (maybe somewhere between a dozen and two dozen) has been profoundly wonderful, like no other guitars I've ever played. And there are some used ones that come up for sale here on the forum within, or close to, your price range, and some of the reputable, respected shops that sell online have them used in your price range sometimes. These are perhaps the only guitar brand I would have no qualms about buying without playing first (given that I already know that I like the Goodall sound) - they are that consistently wonderful.

Others LOVE Collings. Not my cup of tea personally, but they are great, wonderfully well-built guitars that many folks adore (and for good reason).

And some drop dead fabulous Martins can be had in this price range.

I played a used Kronbauer in this price range recently that was simply fabulous.

And there are others.

This price range has lots of options.

The challenge is, of course, that there are many geographic regions where there are no shops that carry a lot of the guitars I and others have been talking about, so it can be hard for a lot of folks to try them out in person.

All this being said......

If trying out these others is not an option for you, the Taylor would probably be a perfectly wonderful option.