View Single Post
Old 01-29-2017, 06:55 AM

Default Pickup for D-28 Authentic '37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
the lyric in my D-18 definitely needs the IR process to sound good. Bass are cut too strong. however, if you planned to buy a tonedexter you'd better go with the amulet. Because the lyric has an internal multi band compression. If you want full dynamic, the amulet seems to be the right choice.

However don't put out the lyric before having tried a custom IR.

Cuki

Hi Cuki!

I was hoping you'd check in. Unfortunately, the Amulet will not fit on the bridge plate. So, I'm left with the K&K, B-Band, and Lyric that are small enough to fit. The saddle is glued in, so no UST will work.

I think you're right about the Lyric. The bass is rolled off to prevent feedback and it sounded a little dull to me, and too mid range heavy in my last guitar. I think I'm going to return it without opening it. I need a solution that sounds passable without an IR or modeling. The IR or modeling will be useful when I have full control over my sound.

Any experience with B-Band AST transducers? There is no compression in the preamp. Just a 180 Hz notch, evidently. So far, my only exposure to it is with Doug Young's site and it sounded pretty weak on it's own. I'm thinking I box it back up and send it back too.

The benefit of the K&K is that is sounds pretty good on its own.

I've decided to add a Schatten HFN Active VT to the mix. I have one on order. The price is reasonable, and it sounded very good on it's own through Doug's pickup tests. Evidently, the install can be a bit messy with the putty. I'm going to try it with the foam tape first. I'll plan to keep it, because I'm sure I can use it in another guitar in the future. Also, I have a fellow club member who's use this successfully in a guitar.

Last question for you...

How small can we miniaturize the Custom IR? I presume, it still needs to be in a pedal form factor?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by martingitdave; 01-29-2017 at 07:48 AM.