View Single Post
Old 03-19-2017, 09:23 PM

Neck is all semi-glossed and sort of shinny (or was it satin). Need to drill the tuner holes, fret and set up. So what do I do?

Start a new project. It is too dry in my house right now to work on the acoustic guitars I am building, part of the reason for doing the Tele. Aww what the heck, let's make a little one. Inspired by the Martin size-5 Terz guitar, decided to make one roughly the same size. Going to be a nylon guitar. Some wood to use.

Resawed the CLR/SELECT. Got to love the 3-4 grain lines per inch.

I figured I only would get three pieces out of the 3/4" board. So I cut three pieces as a front and half a back, and a lengthier two sides and a third to use as the other side of the back. Won't be book matched but not a concern. Also had to make a mold to bend the wood. I cut up a 2x6 and shaped them and screwed them together. My cheap and dirty side bender. Got to say that this was the first time I used SuperSoft II to bend the wood. Did some softwood sides befor and they have a tendency to crease the inside fibers at the waist. Just a nice smooth bend with the SS.

And here is where I am right now. Bent sides, 2x3 cut in half and glued up to make the neck. The top and backs joined and braced. I did have to add little wings on the lower bout, the board was 1/2" narrower than I needed. So why did I not just use a bigger one since I have more? I wanted to use the wide grained wood and if not for this what would I use it for?

The piece for the neck turned out shorter than I thought it was. I still might get away with using it, if not I'll have to find another to use. Maybe a 2x4.