View Single Post
Old 05-28-2013, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepInTune View Post
Brad,
Can you post more pics on your home-made system. A few of us are intrigued.
Also, have you found any better housing options for the speaker arrays in your searches, or is the one you're using perfect?

Sure! As for searching anymore? No, no time for that yet. I used cheap $20 tweeter line arrays that I ripped out the tweeters and these speakers dropped right in. The boxes are attached with typical metal electrical pipe (conduit) clamps. Tightened with some rubber inserted between the pipe & the clamp so it will hold, but I can spread them apart with a bit of effort.

Note the Peavey speaker is upside down (lol, it's what I had and it turned the pipe mount to the top.)

Now that I know it will work fine, I'll make some much smaller (depth-wise) boxes to further reduce the weight. I'll also space those 3" speakers closer together to more accurately grab the effect of a true linear array. Go search for Bose L1 photos and you should find a cross-section that shows how they vary their 2.25" speakers in the column. They're pointing in several directions in the L1. As I shrink the box, I'll also add one more to gain a total of 12 speakers in the array.

Keep in mind that they don't push nearly as much air as the 15" would, it doesn't take a lot of cu. ft. in the box or column cavity. (Note todays surround systems and the L1 cylinder itself.)

I do have some more experimenting to do for the sub-side, too. That's a full-range 15" speaker there. It may be of value as-is. I'll play and then sub a true subwoofer. Overall, it breaks down into three manageable pieces: pole/woofers, mixer/amp box and the sub.

If anyone wants some specific views....back, etc., let me know and I'll take more pics. What I do know now...it will serve well for a crowd of 300-400 and play overtop a drummer that uses Sonars and bangs hard.

Brad

https://www.dropbox.com/s/akxtow6erp...BOSEclone1.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ggs5ffu8gn...Boseclone2.JPG

bradM - SW Ohio - love to pick!

<{()}>< <{()}>< <{()}>< <{()}>< <{()}><

Last edited by myersbw; 05-28-2013 at 01:16 PM.