View Single Post
Old 06-19-2008, 10:55 PM

I think most people string their guitars (not slot headed) with the strings ending up on the inside (closer to the center of the head plate) of the post. This means if you are facing the side of the guitar with the tuners, you will always tune the guitar sharp by turning the tuner counter clockwise (CC), that is you are looking directly at the axis of the tuner. If your point of view is like most peoples when playing, the tuners on the bass side will turn CC to tune sharp, and the treble tuners will be turned clockwise to tune sharp. (note that the turning direction is entirely based on your reference frame, if you look from the bass side only, then the direction changes for each side.)

I don't think it is a good idea to wind the string on the outside of the post because if you switch back and forth you will ream out the nut slots with the strings because the angle of attack in the nut slot increases slightly. Also you run the risk of having the string hit another tuning post which could affect tone with buzzing, and might also throw off the string tension so you cant stay in tune.

I could be wrong, and it could be entirely up to personal preference, but I stick to my way.

Good luck!
-Rich