View Single Post
Old 01-19-2011, 08:18 AM

I converted a glass front gun cabinet into a guitar humidor. My Breedlove & Gibson live in there. For humidity I use a big carwash sponge in a large tupperware container (no top). It keeps it at about 48%RH when the rest of the house is at 30% in the winter. (edited to add...I just checked and the rest of the house is at about 25% right now. It's a fairly large OLD house and we just use humidifiers in the bedrooms)

The sponge is large enough to bring it right back up to 48% after I pull a guitar out or put it back in. I also sealed the doors with weather stripping and the hinged faces with duct tape.

It's a very nice looking setup and I always get comments on it when people come to visit.

My other Guitars live in their cases with oasis humidifiers.

I'm not sure how this summer will work as far as dehumidifying but I will come up with a solution when the time comes. Either dessicant or a mini dehumidifier wired to a humidistat.

Some find it fun to sneer at the pains we go through to give our guitars a healthy home but I tend to ignore that. My old washburn with the cracked top is all the proof I need that humidity (or lack thereof) matters.

Last edited by 58MOD; 01-19-2011 at 08:23 AM.