View Single Post
Old 06-19-2012, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadol View Post
French polish is very easily damaged, and pretty easily repaired. Dribble your whiskey on your guitar and you'll see just how easy it is to damage -
Well, fortunately I'm not a whiskey drinker, but your point is well-taken. I do have one French-polished instrument, and it sees a fair amount of use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadol View Post
With all the chemical compounds used in the lining materials, vinyls, foams, glues - even the chemicals now used to cure, color, and tan natural materials like leather - it's a good rule to be extra careful initially when trying a new case, hanger, stand, or anything that comes in contact with the finish.
Exactly.

If the OP has been going around posting this in a number of guitar forums, as has been stated, my guess is that he put the guitar into a brand new case that was still stinking of the adhesives used to make it. It seems likely that he tried to get TKL/Cedar Creek's management to pay for refinishing the guitar but was rebuffed. So this would be his way of getting back at them, sort of a "United Breaks Guitars" revenge video but in a post instead.

Which would be completely understandable, but I understand the case company's position, as well (provided that I'm guessing correctly about what inspired this.)

I've had my own problems with Cedar Creek, and both times I dealt with them they got the sizes of the cases they built for me so completely wrong that they had to build other cases to replace them (the neck on the case for my baritone, for example, was about two inches too short.) So I don't think they're the most attentive outfit ever to go into the custom case building business.

But this one doesn't appear to be their fault. If the original poster ever comes back to rejoin the discussion perhaps he can give us some more details.

Wade Hampton Miller