View Single Post
Old 10-20-2013, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Hey All. Do some Electric Guitars not sound good with your amp? Perhaps rather than Electric Guitar I should say pickups. And of course, the speaker plays a big role too. Let's leave out pedals just to keep the signal path clean.

I have a Marshall Vintage Marshall with matching 425A cab (G12C greenbacks). The Seymour Duncan Alnico Pro IIs, '59, and Gibson 57 Classics sound great through it. The DiMarzio Super Distortions and EMG 81/85s (active) don't. This is as I expected.

Now, those Dimarzios and EMGs sound great through my JVM though with the 1960a cab.

How about you?
Dru,

I personally think what you are hearing is the difference between lower and higher output pickups into your amp. The pickups you say sound great are lower output, "vintage-like " pickups and the ones you say do not sound good are high output "modern-like" pickups. Lower output pickups will not hit your preamp tubes as hard as higher output. Hard hit preamp tubes result in preamp distortion which tends to be thin an "fizzy", especially with 12ax7 preamp tubes. Lower output pickups are softer on the amps preamp allowing for power tube distortion which is rich and thick. That is why I use low output pickups and prefer EF86 preamps. When EF86's are hit hard they react differently with a more rich, open clipping. Maybe because it is a Pentode? But, I digress.

You have probably tried this, but lowering the Super Distortions and the EMG's MIGHT help?

Last edited by terrapin; 10-20-2013 at 02:02 PM.