View Single Post
Old 12-16-2017, 09:46 AM
AGF Sponsor

I'm a little late to this party, but I've read through and caught up. It looks as though you've learned a lot, and done a nice job. As to the subject in this post, you are right...a little makes a big difference. If you consider the heal to body joint to be a fulcrum (like the center of a teeter-totter) then you can see where a little movement closer to the fulcrum (such as the area underneath the fretboard extension) can translate into a much bigger difference the further out that you move (the bridge/saddle). I'm glad for you that you've figured it out on this guitar. Great job.

Joel

Quote:
Originally Posted by CabinetMan View Post
I thought I'd post and let you all know that I found the problem with the Fert board/neck angle situation. I had to take a break for a few days on the guitar to get caught back up on my work and glad that I did. I was starting to get frustrated with not being able to figure out the problem.
Anyway, had a little time today while some stain was drying on some doors.
I got to investigating and trying to figure out a shim to use or whether I need to change the neck angle or not. To make a somewhat long story short, I found a VERY SLIGHT hump on the sound board where the fret board extension sits on the top. All I had to do was sand a VERY small amount off where the fret board extension sits.
What a world of difference it made, Its hard to believe that such a small amount could make such a huge difference. Its like a different guitar, the action is perfect and my son says it plays like a dream.
I also put the Grover 18:1 sta-tites on instead of the Rotomatics. No its not neck heavy at all either.
Excited to get the finish on it now. May try to do that tomorrow if time allows.

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.
0000/Auditorium, Sitka/Indonesian RW

‘93 Taylor 712 (I spent 20 years trying to convince the owner to sell me this guitar)

‘95 Taylor Limited Edition GAWS (I traded my Gibson J-200 for this guitar in ‘95)

TWO HANDS GUITARS