View Single Post
Old 05-18-2017, 11:52 AM

My misunderstanding, I thought you meant it naturally flattened out AFTER it was glued. You're overthinking this, sanding the rims with the radius dish should provide the longitudinal arch for the back while the braces support the transverse arch. It's not necessary for the back to conform to the domed shape until it is glued into place, and after it's glued the amount of doming will depend on the relative humidity. As RH rises, so does the amount of doming, for both the top and back.

Try solid laminated linings on your next one, use three strips of 0.10" thick oak, it bends really easily at that thickness. You'll be surprised at how much more rigid it makes the rims. I made my own kerfed linings for my first few guitars, the death of 1000 cuts I called it. (BTW, there are about 1000 cuts required for dred linings). They were a pain to install, they broke at all the tight curves, and it was difficult to cleanly inlet the top bracing. I thought it would be easier to get thin solid linings to conform to the tighter curves, I could make each strip thin enough to bend easily, and put on as many as I needed to make up the necessary thickness. I've found that oak does not bend easily at 0.125", and at 0.08" it bends really easily, heat and water are barely necessary, 0.10" is the optimum thickness for oak. YMMV
et al

Last edited by Rodger Knox; 05-18-2017 at 12:12 PM.