View Single Post
Old 11-30-2017, 12:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HNS View Post
Excellent comments. Thank you all.

How would you describe the tone of Baranik and Chasson Guitars. I’ve heard a few Baraniks on YouTube, and as was mentioned they seem more modern sounding, which is great. What about their dynamics and bass response (I’m not looking for a traditional guitar).
I own a custom guitar made by Kent (Brazilian Rosewood/Engelmann Spruce Concert Model) for about 3-years now. I have found that trying to describe the details of the timbre with word descriptions or through online recordings can be a very confusing and sometimes misleading undertaking. I likely play different music and in a different style than you. I have played about eight of Mike's guitars across the years at luthier exhibitions so I have a good sense of Mike's work as well.

BOTH Kent and Mike make superlative guitars, are experienced builders and both happen to be fantastic guys. BOTH make guitars that are responsive, balanced with no weaknesses in any of the registers that I have found. Many aspects about emphasis on fundamentals or overtones is honestly somewhat commission specific for both builders. Aspects regarding bass response and dynamics are also commission specific attributes to discuss with a luthier. A guitar can be adjusted to address these requests to some degree. These adjustments come at a costs in my experience. Dynamics and responsiveness can come at the expense of headroom. Bass can come at the expense of balance in timbre etc.

Best idea is probably to pick up the phone and begin a dialogue with both and see what you think.

Good Luck...