Thread: Regret
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2017, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailpicker View Post
For example: I'm currently working on Recuerdos de la Alhambra as published in a book by a fairly well known classical guitarist and teacher. The fingering is not what I would intuitively do by just reading the music and playing what I saw. There seems to be a different approach that ultimately I see makes sense, and I can see the flow, but is not intuitively how I'd play it as a non classical player. But as I'M working through it it sure makes sense. I think that's where a good teacher could help speed things along.

A good point: a teacher can help with these types of things, sharing his or her experience.

As an aside, once one gets beyond "basic" approaches to left hand fingering, most guitarists add their own preferences based on the sound they want, what they find easier for them or what suits their particular physical attributes. For example, Parkening has fingerings that work with his long fingers but are nearly physically impossible for someone of average finger length, no matter how well you play or how much you can stretch your average-length fingers. One simply adapts his fingerings, where necessary, or choses one's own. As you encounter the fingering options presented in each piece, you learn from that things you might employ in your own fingerings on other pieces.

One option not yet mentioned is the occasional travel to study at master classes or "camps". You then learn things to work on, then go work on them for months - or longer - before obtaining further input. With a skilled instructor, one can learn a lot to work on in a very short time: you have to do the work.