View Single Post
Old 01-07-2017, 05:34 PM
Charter Member

Traveling by boat and RV, I had an Ovation for 14 years (after having issues with a couple wood guitars). Foolishly, I sold off the Ovation after getting hooked on Taylors. I bought a GSmini after they first came out, as my travel guitar. Even did gigs with it. It convinced me that a smaller guitar is just as satisfying. The laminate sides and back held up fine with all the climate changes and travel, but I wanted something "nicer," for traveling and playing out. I became "carbon fiber curious."

A call to Ted at LA Guitar sales and the last of the SG-FLE limited edition Shortys was on its way to the company office (where I worked as a boat captain). I opened the box; opened the case, and... ohhhh - pretty. I picked it up - ohhhhh, lightweight. I strummed a chord... hooked!

A few years later, and another wood guitar in between, I wanted something even smaller. That led me to an Emerald X7. Sean at Emerald made it easy. Four days from Ireland to the Tropical Tip of Texas (shipped late Thursday in Ireland, arrived Monday noonish in deep south Texas). Beautiful workmanship. SO comfortable - I know it is small by looking at it, but it doesn't "play" small and certainly doesn't sound small. Even back at home, where I have other guitars (wood and CF) to pick from, this is the guitar I pick up most often.

I will probably always have a nice wood guitar, but I don't see me buying any more wood. Yes, for me, the carbon fiber offerings are that good.

10 years ago, I was "that guy"... the one who when a friend said, "You should try one of these..." (referring to a CA), I smiled and said, "Thanks, but I am a wood guitar kinda guy."

Turns out, I am a guitar guy.