View Single Post
Old 12-28-2017, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vindellama View Post
I gone ahead to inquire on how international shipping is handled before making the order. And discovered that they don't ship MOP/Abalole/Pearl items internationaly. When inquiring about that, they said that it was due to CITES.

So... Thats it?
Could they provide cites documentation for shipping or I'm stuck with the "non-shell" options for good?
They could, but there are permit fees that make it too expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
It is not worth their time to go through the process for a limited return. Such is life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rio2000BE View Post
This has nothing to do with CITES. Export of goods from the US containing wild animal material, including all shell species, is regulated by the USFWS under the Lacey Act. A permit is required for each shipment. There is a fee, IIRC around $100, and considerable paperwork. Same going into the US. Again, nothing to do with CITES.
Not exactly nothing to do with CITES, the Lacey Act is the US implementation of the CITES treaty, and the latest amendment is in response to changes in the CITES regulations. International trade in shell has been regulated for several years now, and has nothing to do with the recent addition of all dalbergias to Appendix II. I believe that the permit is the same price regardless of the amount of shell being imported/exported, so small shipments are not economically viable.
et al