View Single Post
Old 12-07-2017, 09:53 AM

Default 000/OM most like my D Mahogany 09 ?

So I've decided (painfully) that I am going to put my D Mahogany 09 up for sale. It has become to difficult for me to play on a regular/extended basis. As an experiment I bought an Ibanez AVC4 and find it comfortable too play, just a bit lacking in tone (not a fair comparison I know).

I know the laws of physics won't allow a smaller body to sound like a dread but what should I be looking for ? I'm going to have to drive ~ 2 hr to nearest big city to try anything more than the most common stuff. I tend to play tuned down a 1/2 step and capo'ed up 1 or two frets so I think I want the shorter scale. I would trade some of the booming bass for a more focused/balanced tone and a slightly brighter tone. I tend to play mostly fingerstyle with some moderate strumming here and there, mostly vocal accompaniment. I tend to favor a lot close voiced or extended chord voicing's which is likely why I prefer mahogany and the shorter scale. Occasional flatpicking fiddle tunes, but not primary focus.

Here's what I like about the guitar and wish to keep:

Mod V neck - Love it, also like the wider spacing.
I like the fundamental, rich woody tone I get with just a touch of shimmer. I believe that is due to Alpine spruce top.
Most rosewood martins I find too much in the way of overtones for my taste. Are there (RW) models that might be a bit dry, more in line with the D 09 ?

Based on that, here's what I think I should be looking at in the ~ $2000 - $3000 price range (used or new)

000-18GE
CEO 7
OM-18A (might be a bit out of price range but I believe would worth it), just not sure about the neck

Maybe a 0000 ? Maury's has a custom 0000-18V that seems very interesting to me and might fit the bill nicely.

Any thoughts and recommendations are appreciated