View Single Post
Old 04-21-2017, 09:12 AM

I feel the need to apologize for my sometime brief responses. It comes from a frustration with trying to type lengthy responses using my phone.

Thank you Tony for the kind words on my playing.. I am not a beginner, although when learning a new song or technique, it does feel like I'm a beginner.

here's my background; I started playing in 1965 & took about a year of guitar lessons. I played in high school & college rock bands, played in acoustic duos during my 6 years in the Navy.

During that time, I knew chords & songs because my band mates taught me or sheet music gave me the information needed.

Then came a 20 year break..

About 15 years ago, I got back into guitar playing and learned the theory behind scales, chords, fretboard, etc... Over the years, I've dug into a variety of genre's; pop, acoustic blues, jazz, semi-classical & whatever peaked my interest at the time.

I can't hold a key while singing, so these days I play strictly solo guitar arrangements. I play for my own enjoyment and the occasional open mic night. The singers at the weekly guitar gathering that I attend typically call for "capo 2" or capo 3".... We play just about all genre's.

Attempting to videotape myself became an effort in futility. I spent more time screwing up the recording process than actually playing my guitar. So, there aren't any video or audios.

Could I play songs on the guitar with those nasty flat signatures? If given enough time to analyze the arrangement, SURE!! But if I don't have to play in those keys, I won't. So, it becomes "out of sight, out of mind" for me.

Rather than call the keys hard or easy. Let's call the keys... preferred & not preferred when it comes to the guitar. LOL

Looking at my current repertoire of songs, I play them in the keys of C,A,G,E,D & Eb.

There are 2 songs that I play in the key of Eb. #1 is the Stevie Wonder song; My Cherie Amore and was arranged by Pete Huttlinger (RIP) #2 is Moonlight in Vermont arranged by Rich Severson.

One of the songs that I play in the key of D is played using C shape chords with the capo on the 2nd fret. Why? Simply because I like the sound of the open strings.
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop