View Single Post
Old 04-21-2017, 06:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyDee View Post
They are all equal, even without CAGED. I do know how CAGED works, but I don't really look at the fretboard that way. I look at it as smaller intervals, all the finger-shapes related to scales and scale degrees, 4ths, minor 3rd, major 3rd... I'm still working on putting that knowledge into fast muscle memory, but I understand it. Beyond, possible physical limitations, like... by the time I get to the 14th fret my guitar sounds like a cheap uke, why do people think these keys are different? We're probably getting off topic, but Tony, can you explain it? I'm not saying that dkstott thought this. He's clearly working above my pay grade. But why if someone knows how to play an F are they afraid of a F#? I don't get it.
I don't have an answer except to guess that this was how they were taught. I hear this idea of one key being more difficult than another from piano players who were taught to play only by reading sheet music. As I mentioned, I don't think that way for either piano or guitar. To me, all keys are equal. From my interactions with dkstott, I would say with confidence that he is well beyond "easy" or "hard" keys and instead has command of the fretboard. Remember, though, that there are folks here at all levels of ability with the guitar, and have come from differing ways of having learned.

However, that said, there are keys on the guitar that favor open strings: C, A, G, E, and D for major and E, A, and D for minor. That has nothing to do with "easy" or "hard" keys, but everything to do with how the guitar is tuned.

The part of your post that I highlighted in bold was an interesting point about the guitar sounding like a ukulele way up high. I took a lesson once with David Qualey, and he commented on that same thing, saying that when arranging for guitar, it sounds best overall to try to stick to the middle areas of the fretboard. He also tries to incorporate open strings where possible because they help the overall sound to be more resonant and sustaining.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...

Last edited by tbeltrans; 04-21-2017 at 09:00 AM.