View Single Post
Old 10-06-2017, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
Sorry no pics but variation one which is the one I use about 99% of the time. X02220, fingers: 234

Variation 2: x02220. Finger 2 on the D string, and finger 3 barring the G and B.

Variation 3: x0222x. Finger 1 barring all 3 strings and mute the open e. Some people can do this and still make the open e ring, but I just can’t and haven’t bothered to learn it that way.

I like to use all 3 fingers simply because it gives me freedom to do other things like Asus4 (x02230) and other things like a seamless transition to EM chord which is a popular progression if you’re playing in A.
Variation 3 takes practice to place and not mute the high E string. The fingertip will bend more over time and find that slight angle that not only gives the E-string plenty of room, it will also leave enough real estate under it to place the middle finger for coloring the chord with the F# note on the E-string. This is my way of playing the A-chord. And, should you want to drop out the C# note of that chord, or alternate it between the C# and the open B, on the B-string, you just rock your index finger off/on it while maintaining the A-note and the E-note on the G and D strings, respectively.

Variation 3 also allows the use of the other free fingers to do lot's of things they normally cannot do if tied to the chord. Holding the chord with the index fingertip and then simultaneously hammering the D and F# notes on the G and D strings, respectively, is one of the things you cannot do otherwise.