View Single Post
Old 12-14-2016, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderMonkey View Post
I'm still on exercise 9, working on the walkups. I'm not sure how "good" I'm supposed to get at the exercise before I move on. I've been thinking that I should move on to exercise 10 and a few others because they are related but then keep coming back to them to keep incrementally improving. One thing I don't want to do is to rush ahead and then find myself unable to even minimally accomplish the lesson because I didn't put in the (fun) work now.
That's a question I've asked myself too and I'm going to be interested in the answers you get. It sounds like you are starting at a much higher skill level than I am at so you don't have as far to go to get to where you can safely move on.

I think the critical thing for me is going to be getting the right hand automatic enough that I can focus my attention on what my left hand is doing.

I'm spending several minutes working on exercises 1 through 6 every night. I'm working with a metronome on the first five exercises since I have learned that I need both a certain number of repetitions and a certain minimum speed before I can do anything automatically. I still can't play exercise 6 with a metronome without crashing so I foresee a lot more work ahead of me there. My intention is to do those six exercises until I can do them automatically at the speed I would need them at in order to play songs at the correct speed for the song.

I've looked through the rest of Volumes 1 and 2 and think that is the foundation I will need to make the rest easier. Certainly, not having that foundation has made trying to move on to the next exercises difficult. I started to work with exercises 7-9 but I found it rough going. I'm not going to do much more while I get the foundation of the earlier exercises solid.