View Single Post
Old 05-18-2016, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbio84 View Post
I love the armrest. This would be cool to do to mine. How did you do this? Was it hard?
Depends on your skills. I have some!
Thanks.
You can use 3/8" or 1/4" stock & just cut it to shape from a pattern of your guitar's rim. Leave the bottom flat & shape the top curve however you like. Depending on the wood you choose, finishing can be the most difficult part. I chose to just use a high quality paste wax to give it a nice shine & keep it easy to maintain. BTW the pick guard is 1/8" thick wood that is just applied to the existing PG with double sided tape. I made it a bit bigger & shaped it slightly differently. I used a double sided mounting tape for the arm rest. The foam type is very hard to remove, so I am using an automotive molding tape. It's more of a rubber than foam. I am still experimenting with various mounting tapes. These arm rests for the silent guitar are much easier to make than ones for conventional acoustic guitars because you don't need to shape the under side to keep it off the guitar top. My next project, after I get the nut finished, is to redo the leg rest. Thinking about making one with a cut out center in keeping with the overall design.
kev