View Single Post
Old 03-18-2012, 09:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulf_Lindholm View Post
Hi Im an amateur luthier drafting my next guitar. Im thinking it will be a kind of flat top with 20' radius and with a kind of tailpiece, inspired by makers like Batson Guitars. Now Im doing some online research to find out what kind of pressure on the top that the strings will exert.

This led me to a thread in another forum where someone gave an example on how to calculate the downward pressure at the bridge. It included cos which is way beyond my math knowledge but when I tried his algorithm I got nervous:

If a set of light strings has a tension of 75 kg (165 pounds) and the strings break angle over the bridge is 15 degrees (which is what I had in mind) the downward force/pressure at the bridge will be around 60 kg (130 pounds).

Can this really be correct?
Downward pressure on the top is not related to the break angle. The height of the saddle (distance between the face of the guitar and top of the saddle) creates a lever which will impart rotational force on the bridge which puts downward force on the front of the bridge and upward force (lift) on the back of the bridge.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above