View Single Post
Old 08-09-2010, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedanton View Post
Does this apply to the HD-35 aswell? When I bought my guitar new last week, the salesman told me it had lights on it and recommended I didn't switch gauge without getting it set up for mediums.(he said it was something to do with the lighter bracing) :confused

I actually restrung it yesterday with Martin Bluesgrass strings to see what bright strings would sound like, but not sure if I like the tone as much as before. (I think I'm a sucker for phospher bronze strings)

Do you think I should restring with mediums after I've worn out the Bluegrass set?
HD-35's are also shipped with mediums. If it had lights on it, that was a decision that local shop made.

You can certainly put lights on a Martin dread, but the bottom line, as Rich said, is that Martin ships all their dreads with SP 4200 strings (mediums).

Each guitar is different, and if you like the sound of lights, go for it. Neither lights or mediums will hurt the guitar at all. If you go with lights, a small tweak of the truss may be necessary. Personally though, the saleman could have been wrong...so I would try mediums first to see if what you played in the store were indeed mediums and not the lights the (misinformed?) salesman told you.

Martin HD-28V
Martin JC-16RGTE Premium
Taylor Koa GS-LTD 12-fret
Breedlove C-10 12-string
Cordoba Solista CE
Seagull M6 Gloss

Last edited by kente777; 08-09-2010 at 07:24 AM.