View Single Post
Old 08-09-2010, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmyAddison View Post
Jack,

that manager is either misinformed or just lying. As mentioned the recommended string is listed on the website.

Martin dreads are shipped with mediums not lights, period, and there's a good chance putting lights on them would let the neck raise enough to have buzzing problems from the reduced pressure. Martin MSP4200's (13's) are the standard string for Martin dreads, the only exception I know being the Authentics which they recommend Phosphor bronze M550s, a string I have never seen or tried (don't know how I missed them).

I really like SP4200's but they don't last long for me. All my Martin dreads have either DR Sunbeam 13's (great playability and bendability) or my new favorite Martin Bluegrass light-mediums, hybrids 12-56. The light-mediums give the playability with a 12 on top but dont lose the low end growl with mediums on the bottom, and for whatever reason they seem to last longer than the SP's.

I have even put the Bluegrass light-mediums on my OM's and boy does that sound good, giving the smaller boxes a boost in low end, really nice!

Back to point, Martin dreads are shipped with mediums not lights, fact.
Thanks. I was hoping you'd reply to this Rich. Do you know whether they're shipped with SP's or regular Martin strings? It sounds a bit anal, but I want to try to do as direct a comparison as possible with my friends guitar.