View Single Post
Old 12-30-2016, 09:48 AM

I'm pretty sure that Freddie Green was never close miked. They say his guitar had high action and plenty of relief.

...but not everybody is Freddie Green. If your guitar needs help being heard in a live setting, I think that just about any cardioid or hypercardioid mic would do the trick, even an SM57, but probably a condenser would work best - or a hypercardioid ribbon like a Beyer M260.80 would sound really sweet.

In my honkytonk band, our former singer/ rhythm guitarist played an old Kalamazoo acoustic archtop, and I just stuck a hypercardioid condenser (Sennheiser e614) in front of his guitar, and in that context it sounded infinitely better than any kind of pickup could ever possibly sound. This guy really drove the band with his rhythm guitar playing, and we managed to get plenty of his guitar in the monitors without any feedback issues. If he broke a string, the whole bottom fell out of our sound. We had it choreographed that when he broke a string (which happened at least once every show), I'd turn down the volume on my archtop and step up to his mic and start chomping chords, which would enable us to limp through the remainder of the song.

Last edited by Hot Vibrato; 12-30-2016 at 09:54 AM.