View Single Post
Old 01-19-2012, 07:10 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel String View Post
Fred Kelly makes a delrin fingerpick called the freedom fingerpick.
Hi MJ,
I was referring to actual glue-on fingernail tips as made for the 'fake nail' industry, of course.

I have known about the Freedom Fingerpick for quite a while, and I think I've even seen them at a couple of stores. My initial reaction was to dismiss them because of how 'clunky' they look.

But I just went to Fred Kelly's website and watched a little video of an instructor, Lisa McCormick, using them.

They certainly can give the tone that I prefer, which is that of a 'medium gauge' plastic pick striking the string. Lisa's technique is one that I would advise any of my students against using, as she has her fingers ahead of her thumb.

However, the irony is that I've always realized that the further from the saddle you pick the treble strings, the fatter the tone, and the closer to the saddle you pick the bass notes, the more clarity and punch you can get, so despite the way it looks, it's tonally a great idea.

I always try to attack the strings as close to a 90 degrees as possible, and this technique precludes that.

In any case I think I am going to buy a bunch of them, bite down hard, and see what happens. Worst comes to worst I'll have wasted $20 or so, but at least I'll have the possibility of finally being able to pick, frail, and dig in the garden without a care in the world!

Regards,
Howard