View Single Post
Old 12-24-2011, 01:15 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
My goal for 2012 is to try to become fairly proficient at fingerpicking. I don't have any finger nails and am trying to decide whether or not to just use straight fingers or fingerpicks. Obviously fingerpicks sound much better and more lively.

For those of you that use fingerpicks, is it best just to start with using the picks or get decent at using just your fingers and then introduce the fingerpicks gradually?

tx and Merry Xmas!!!!
I have used glued-on plastic tips with, and now without, acrylic, for a really long time. I did play with National fingerpicks and a thumbpick for many years, especially when I played a lot of Dobro.

There are also times when I use nothing because I'm too busy doing wood working. I'll end up breaking/cracking a nail, so why bother. I forced myself to deal with the lack of volume and tone, but I'm better for it.

I no longer use a thumb pick except on the rare 12 string arrangement. I prefer my bass notes to be different sounding than my melody notes.

I would highly suggest getting the Pro Piks with the open finger pad area right from the start. It will feel way less than natural, undoubtedly, but the more you do it, the better you'll get at it.

They are easily adjustable with small needle-nose pliers. It would be best if you could find a store where you could try them on to get the best size for your fingers.

Just get over the fear of the unknown, and of spending about $20 in a worse-case scenario if you make some 'wrong' choices. Long term you'll be very happy going with the picks.

Best of luck with it!

Regards,
Howard Emerson