View Single Post
Old 03-31-2015, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim.S View Post
Thanks Ned, is that the basic one, not the HT or Corum? Also is there a reason you prefer them over HT or just a reason you prefer them?

Hartman, do they make a nylon? I had assumed they were a monel steel string, hence the retro bit.
It seems as though the "Alliance" is the name they give to the trebles, and the HT is the name for the basses. So, I should say Alliance HT.

I have tried the corum basses only once and didn't care for them much at all.

I have never cared for D'addario classical strings. I have tried their set with the strange beige g-string, too, (pretty darn sure it was d'addario) but the g-string was very much out of character from the others in tone and feel. What I don't like about d'addario classical strings is the huge diameter of the 3rd string, and I find they tend to sound less clear than Savarez Alliance/HT. Plus, the overall diameter is greater in all strings in the D'addario sets. The d'addario 3rd string is more clunky sounding to my ear, rather than a powerful and clear savarez alliance 3rd string. I also feel that savarez has a better tone balance across strings.

True, savarez ht basses will wear out much more quickly (especially d-string) due to the smaller diameter of the wrappings, but I prefer to focus on tone quality rather than longevity.

Regarding tension, it depends upon both the player's technique and preference for feel, as well as the guitar scale length and soundboard design. Some guitars will not see a sound improvement with high tension, but others will have a soundboard that can handle the extra tension and energy.

There is generally no "right or wrong" string, however. They certainly have slightly different tones, and if you had a 20 band equalizer on a set of speakers, each person would tune the eq sweep slightly different to their own tastes. That said, I have tried some basic quality Augustine strings (about 15 years ago) and more than one string was of varying density along the same string, and those affected strings did not even produce one true note. So, there are some strings that are just "wrong", but of the many strings available of proper quality, there is no "right or wrong". Hope that clarifies.

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

Last edited by Ned Milburn; 03-31-2015 at 08:34 AM.