View Single Post
Old 08-04-2016, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekutree64 View Post
What about Ralph Novak? Wasn't that the basis for his patenting "fan frets"? The clang tone depends on string length and material only, not the diameter. So on a typical guitar, all the strings have equal clang tone and it adds up. But fanning the frets makes each string different length and thus different frequency clang so it's not as loud

I suspect it affects over-amped electrics a lot more than it does acoustics. I've never heard anything I could attribute to the clang tone, anyway.
Ralph speculated that clang tones were part of the difference in timbre between scale lengths. I'm not aware that he reliably measured them or showed that they are audible. And I think it had little or nothing to do with his patent.

It's not the case that clang tones are equally present on guitars and pianos, or on all the strings of a guitar. There are two types of longitudinal waves in strings: free resonance, where the frequency is determined by the material (the speed of sound in it) and length alone (but note that this only determines frequency and not amplitude; piano strings are much thicker and in the bass much more massive than guitar strings. They also are excited by hammering, which some think is why their clang tones are audible.); and induced, which have a non-linear (quadratic) mathematical relationship to the transverse wave frequency. If you want to geek out a bit on it, try this (an experiment on pianos that basically supported previous theory on longitudinal wave frequency): http://scholarship.rollins.edu/cgi/v...ntext=stud_fac.

Last edited by Howard Klepper; 08-04-2016 at 03:32 PM.